Do you ever struggle with feeling a little down or having anxious feelings? Or, do you have a loved one who does?
This time of year can especially be more difficult. We just finished the holiday celebrations and now we’ve come to the gloomy weather winter season with no relief in the near future. So, we’ve got to find things to do in our life that will help us balance our mind, body, and spirit so we are mentally WELL and able to take care of ourselves and the ones we love.
For the new year, instead of coming up with a list of GOALS and focusing on what we aren’t being good enough at, let’s focus on WHY we are PERFECT just the way we are, and the habits that we need in our lives to help us SEE our truest potential. If you feel like you have to be PERFECT, I give you the permission today to STOP believing that! You don’t have to BE everything to be good enough and measure up to your potential. You don’t need to lose a bunch of weight, make a lot of money, or never make a mistake as a spouse or parent! You are PERFECT just the way you are NOW. Life is all about learning, so whatever you are doing right now in your life is perfect for YOUR journey.
I have learned that when I’m feeling ON POINT, it’s when I’ve found balance with my mind, body, and spirit. I feel at one with the UNIVERSE. This is a powerful concept that can help me out of my darkest days and help me contribute to the world in a meaningful way.
Finding balance means creating healthy habits that I do every day. It means connecting to God, Self, and Others consistently so that my mind, body, and spirit has balance. It’s not the TO-DO list. It’s not getting a million “likes” on social media. It’s not losing 10 pounds. It’s not making billions of dollars a year. HEALTHY HABITS are all about CONNECTION.
Healthy habits for mind, body, and spirit are created when we connect to God, Self, and Others. We are connecting every day already, but doing it in ALL three areas is key to balance. Below are some suggestions for 3 HABITS that you can implement in your life. Don’t feel like you have to do all of these things. They are purely ideas to help you remember that in everyday life, you can find balance in just living and being YOU. Find one in each area that you are drawn to do and go for it! Then notice how you FEEL!
HABIT #1: CONNECTION TO GOD
- Set aside time each day to spend in spiritual reflection and contemplation.
- Forgive anyone you have not forgiven.
- Try to see the good in others.
- Pray for blessings for you and others.
- Seek opportunities to put more love into the world.
- Create a sacred space. Set up a space for yourself somewhere in your home that feels special and sacred to you. A space, just for you. It may have a sheepskin rug, pillows or your favorite rug for you to sit on. Fill it with candles, oils, a vision board, your favorite trinkets, books, affirmations and/or a journal. Make a little ritual out of visiting this space each day to sit and be with yourself in stillness.
- Make time to reflect. Begin a journaling practice where each day you write about your thoughts and feelings and explore the inner depths of yourself.
- Read something spiritually uplifting.
- Act on thoughts or impressions to do GOOD.
- Rise to the occasion. Use each interaction to be the best, most powerful version of yourself. Be the most wonderful expression of you that you’re capable of.
HABIT #2: CONNECTION TO SELF
- Create a meditation practice.
- Get into nature.
- Support yourself with loving thoughts.
- Tune your eyes to your beauty. Each time you look in the mirror see if you can find one thing about yourself that you love or can appreciate as being something that makes you unique, special and beautiful. Make it your practice to acknowledge your beauty and compliment something about yourself each time you look in a mirror. When that negative voice arises, stop it in its tracks and replace it with something loving.
- Use your breath to draw you inwards. Your breath can help anchor you into your body and draw you deeper into yourself. You can do this anywhere, anytime. Just bring your awareness to your breath and follow it with your attention. Feel it moving into your nose and follow your inhale, all the way down to your belly. And then follow it all the way up and out.
- Nourish yourself by getting enough sleep. When we feel nourished, supported and physically vibrant we naturally feel calmer and more supported. Simple things like a good night’s sleep, lots of fresh air, several cups of water and lots of leafy greens can work wonders in shifting you out of a negative funk and clearing your head.
- Treat and pamper yourself.
- Listen (lovingly) to your discomforts. Connecting with yourself is not just about listening to your desires, but also listening to your discomfort. Your uncomfortable emotions have messages for you. Listen to them. Find the courage to dive into uncomfortable feelings, face your fears and uncover your murky bits. When hurt arises, feel it. Let tears flow and use your breath to support you to move through whatever arises.
- Spend time on a hobby or on something you love to do.
- Support yourself with loving thoughts.
Habit #3: CONNECTION TO OTHERS
- Smile. Smiling at another person is one of the simplest ways to connect with them, and it only takes a second.
- Make eye contact.
- Schedule quality time with a friend
- Pay attention to what matters to others.
- Be present and focused on the other.
- Become more accepting. With every interaction, surrender any tendency to judge another person.
- Ask questions to learn about others on a deeper level.
- Use their names in conversations.
- Show your compassion to others.
- Be vulnerable. Be authentically you.
2020 is all about CONNECTION and creating healthy habits to balance the mind, body, and spirit. It’s about mentally being in a good place. In this INTENTIONAL connection process, don’t forget to use essential oils to help you. doTERRA has blends of oils that are specifically formulated with a variety of oils that are known to promote feelings of calm, uplift, clarity, motivation and more. Some of the BEST essential oil blends I have found that is most effective on an emotional level include oils called: Peace, Console, Forgive, Motivate and Cheer, and Passion. You can also use any other essential oils that you are drawn to in order to greatly enhance your results.
Whatever you do, remember to choose wisely with what you will do to feed your mind, body, and spirit because it will make all of the difference in making your days BRIGHT even in the middle of winter!
If you’d like some more help putting these habits into practice, be sure to sign up for my 31 Days of Connection Series. Each day for 31 days, you’ll receive a reminder and easy meditation that will help you connect to God, yourself, and others. Sign up here.
Here’s to a New Year, a New Decade and encouraging positive Mental Health through HEALTHY HABITS!