Men, last week I talked about heart health, liver health, lung health and mental health. Did it make you think of any symptoms you might be having that need to get checked out?
Here are a few more TOP HEALTH and WELLNESS ISSUES that are common to men.
- Prostate Health. Prostate health is the most common need among men, other than skin health. 1 in 9 males will be diagnosed with prostate issues during his lifetime.
The prostate is about the size of a walnut and sits at the base of the penis. It wraps around the urethra (the tube that urine comes from). The prostate continues to grow bigger as a man gets older. As it enlarges or becomes inflamed, it applies pressure to the urethra it surrounds, making urination difficult or uncomfortable.
There are things you can do that might lower your risk or help reduce prostate growth. Maintain a healthy weight, keep physically active and follow a healthy eating pattern. You may also seek prostate relief from essential oils. Here are some suggestions:
- Apply 2-3 drops of Balance blend to bottoms of feet morning and evening before sleep.
- Consume 1-2 drops of DDR Prime 2-3 times daily with meals.
- Apply 2-3 drops DDR Prime topically on feet (focusing on the heel area), lower abdomen and inner thigh. Add 2-3 drops Juniper Berry on abdomen area. Dilute with carrier oil for sensitive skin. Apply morning and night.
- Consume 3-5 drops of Frankincense under tongue morning and evening.
- Joint Health. Joint replacement surgery is increasingly common in the United States. It was estimated that more than 1 million knee replacements and nearly 600,000 hip replacements will have been done yearly by 2020.
A joint is the connection between two bones. Joints and their surrounding structures allow you to bend your elbows and knees, wiggle your hips, bend your back, turn your head, and wave your fingers. Smooth tissue called cartilage and synovium and a lubricant called synovial fluid cushion the joints so bones do not rub together. But increasing age, injury, or carrying too much weight can wear and tear your cartilage. This can lead to a reaction that can damage your joints and lead to arthritis.
The best way to care for your joints is to keep them and your muscles, ligaments, and bones strong and stable. Here are some tips for good joint health.
· Watch Your Weight. Your size affects some of the strain on your hips, knees, and back. Even a little weight loss can help. Every pound you lose takes 4 pounds of pressure off the knees.
· Exercise. The best choices for joints are activities that don’t pound on your joints, like walking, bicycling, swimming, and strength training.
· Build Muscles. Get stronger to give your joints better support.
· Strengthen your body core. Stronger abs and back muscles help your balance. That means you are less likely to fall or get injured.
· Know Your Limits. Certain exercises and activities might just be too tough for your joints to handle at first. Go slow. Modify exercises that cause joint pain.
· Keep your bones strong. Calcium and vitamin D can help. Dairy products are the best sources of calcium, but other options are green, leafy vegetables like broccoli and kale. TerraGreens packs a daily boost of fruits and vegetables into a mix that can be stirred into 8 oz. of liquid for easy and convenient nutritional supplementation.
· Perfect Your Posture for Good Joints. Slouching is not good for your joints. Standing and sitting up straight protect your joints from your neck to your knees. Good posture also helps guard your hip joints and back muscles.
· Eating Right Nourishes Joints. Eating a healthy diet is good for your joints because it helps build strong bones and muscles.
· Supplement to Support Your Joints. Consistently taking the Lifelong Vitality supplements that are full of essential nutrients, metabolism benefits, and powerful antioxidants will help promote energy, health, and lifelong vitality. Turmeric Dual Chamber Capsules help support a healthy inflammatory response in the body and may help the body fight free radicals and protect the body from oxidative damage. Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex is designed to provide soothing support to aching muscles and to other occasional discomfort. Wintergreen essential oil is almost entirely composed of the chemical constituent methyl salicylate—commonly used in topical products to relieve occasional minor aches in muscles and joints. AromaTouch is a proprietary massage blend, perfect for helping lessen tension and soothe. Massage Deep Blue on your feet, knees or wherever you have muscle pain. Layer Deep Blue Rub to help soothe tired, achy muscles.
Here is a great DIY Joint Relief Cream: Use a hand mixer to whip 1 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil until it is light and fluffy. Add 35 drops Copaiba, 20 drops Lemongrass, 20 drops Wintergreen, 35 drops Peppermint, 20 drops Frankincense and 10 drops Myrrh. Mix together. Scoop the cream into an 8oz jar. Use on stiff or painful joints for comfort and relief.
- Hair Health. Common male pattern baldness accounts for more than 95% of hair loss in men. By the age of thirty-five two-thirds of American men will experience some degree of appreciable hair loss, and by the age of fifty approximately 85% of men have significantly thinning hair.
While you can’t control certain genetic factors like thinning, receding, and balding, you can control how healthy your hair is. Your hair requires maintenance to keep it healthy and strong.
Haircare for men begins at its foundation: the scalp. Since your hair is essentially just a protein with no reparative qualities of its own, it should come as no surprise that the place from which it grows requires the most care. A healthy scalp ensures healthy looking hair.
Healthy Hair Tips:
- Wash and Exfoliate. Maintaining a healthy scalp begins in the shower. Minimize clogged pores and keep your scalp clean and healthy by washing your hair with doTERRA’s Shampoo a couple times a week and condition your hair with doTERRA’s Conditioner every day of the week.
- Massage. Getting a scalp massage has more benefits than just feeling good. Massage your scalp once a week to stimulate growth, increase blood flow and circulation, and relax your muscles. Do it yourself by placing your fingers under the hair to avoid pulling, and massage using firm pressure in a circular motion for three or four minutes. Try a drop of Rosemary diluted with fractionated coconut oil and massage into your scalp. It will help support a healthy scalp and hair growth.
- Pat Your Hair Dry. Drying your hair wrong is one of the biggest causes of damage to men’s hair. This is because your hair is in its most fragile state when it’s wet, and aggressive towel drying or combing can result in breakage. To properly dry, pat or shake out the excess water and stroke your hair in the direction it grows. When combing or brushing, use a wide-tooth comb or brush, and avoid tugging on the hair. doTERRA’s Root to Tip Serum is a salon professional formula infused with essential oils and nourishing lipids to promote smooth, shiny hair and a healthy-looking scalp. It helps rejuvenate the scalp while supporting the appearance of healthy hair. This powerful, lightweight serum provides extended moisture without weighing hair down or leaving an oily residue.
- Avoid Heat. One the main causes of dry scalp is washing with water that is too hot. Hot water may feel great on your skin, but it can ruin your hair, stripping it of vital oils that keep it healthy and give it a natural shine. Take the temp down a notch and wash your hair with lukewarm water.
- Get Trimmed. Once the damage is done, the only real way to get rid of it is to cut it off. Even if you are hoping to grow your hair out, experts recommend getting a trim every three to six weeks.
Try this essential oil recipe for thinning hair or balding spots:
“Hair Stay There”: In a 5ml bottle, combine 24 drops Rosemary, 18 drops Cedarwood, 14 drops Geranium, 12 drops Peppermint, 8 drops Lavender and 40 drops carrier oil. Apply daily before bed or just after showering. Put 4-7 drops in palm of hand, dip fingertips, gently massage throughout scalp, paying special attention to thinning or balding spots.
- Skin Health. 63% of men do not regularly use face wash to clean their face and 33% of men admit they don’t wash their face on a daily basis. Only a quarter of men currently use any facial cleanser, moisturizer, or other skin product. Most just splash some water on their face, shave, and go about their business.
Men, if you want your skin to look younger longer, you might want to think twice about what you are doing to your face. There are products you can use and steps you can take that will protect and nourish your skin, keeping it looking smooth and glowing longer.
There are certain skin care products men should have on hand for daily skin care:
- Face cleanser. You should wash your face twice a day with a good cleanser. doTERRA’s Face Cleanser will gently wash away impurities leaving skin looking clean, fresh, and smooth. Consider doTERRA’s entire line of Essential Skin Care.
- Shaving cream. You’ll want a product that will properly lubricate the skin so the razor blade will glide over it, preventing razor burn. Try this DIY Shaving Cream that is fortified with natural lubricants and essential oils that will improve razor glide for a close, comfortable shave. It will leave skin smooth, healthy and moisturized. Ingredients: ⅓ cup shea butter, ⅓ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup Fractionated Coconut Oil, 5 drops Sandalwood, 5 drops Peppermint, 5 drops Tea Tree. Instructions: Place all ingredients except for essential oils in double boiler. Once melted, remove from heat and let sit three minutes. Add essential oils and stir until combined. Let shaving cream rest until hard. Tip: You can put it in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process. Using hand or stand mixer, whip shaving cream until light and fluffy. Place in container of choice.
- Aftershave lotion. Many men use an aftershave lotion to soothe the skin after shaving. A great essential oil blend that gives sensitive skin relief is Immortelle. Glide the roller bottle on your palms. Rub your hands together and gently apply to the neck and face in an upward motion. For sensitive skin, add 1-2 drops Frankincense and Lavender with the Immortelle.
- Moisturizer. Skin tends to dry out as its essential oils diminish with age, but a good moisturizer can help. DoTTERA’s Hydrating Cream is packed with emollient-rich ingredients and probiotics to provide intense hydration and nourishment to the skin, helping reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and aiding with skin barrier renewal for suppler, younger-looking skin.
- To lower your risk of developing melanoma, take steps to protect yourself from harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. When you’re outside spend time in the shade, cover your body with protective clothing, cover exposed skin in sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher and reapply sunscreen every two hours or more frequently if you’re sweating or swimming. Here’s a great DIY Sunscreen Cream: Ingredients: 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup Shea Butter, 1 tsp Carrot Seed oil, 2 tbsp Zinc Oxide, 2-3 drops Hawaiian Sandalwood oil. Directions: Melt coconut oil and shea butter in a bowl over warm water. Add carrot seed oil and zinc oxide and mix together. Add in drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil and stir. Place in a jar for storage. Allow to cool for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Hormone Health. After age 20, a man’s growth hormone falls about 14 percent every 10 years. By the time he reaches 40, he has lost almost half the growth hormones he had at 20 years old, and by the time he reaches 80, men are left with just 5 percent of their original growth hormones.
Some of the most common hormonal imbalances in men include low testosterone, low cortisol and low or high thyroid hormones. Many of the symptoms of male hormonal imbalances come on very gradually. You may not notice them at first, but as more symptoms appear and become worse over time, they do become apparent. These symptoms of male hormone imbalance are some of the most common:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Hair loss
- Low libido
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Night sweats or hot flashes
- Memory loss
- Mood swings or irritability
- Heart palpitations
- Muscle loss or weakness
- Sleep apnea or insomnia
- Sadness and Anxious feelings
- Constipation or increased bowel movements
- Increased body fat
- Development of breasts
People often mistake the symptoms of imbalanced hormones in men with signs of aging. The good news is that these hormone losses and imbalances are easily correctable. And through proper treatment, these symptoms will often disappear and bring about a healthier, younger you. There are physicians, even naturopathic physicians that can help balance your hormones safely. With balanced hormones you can see an increase in muscle mass, maintain bone density, and keep your sex drive, motivation, stamina and physical energy at healthy levels. You’ll also see a difference in your mood and state of mind.
Here are some natural remedy options to consider:
- Erectile dysfunction: Apply Immortelle to genital area 2-3 times daily.
- Encourage and stimulate hormonal balance: 1 drop Sandalwood, 2 drops Clary Sage, 1 drop Ylang Ylang. Apply topically on lower abdomen. Diffuse. Take internally in a gel capsule.
- Circulation Support: Apply 1-2 drops Cypress, Pink Pepper, or AromaTouch to inner thighs and lower abdomen.
- Anxiety and Stress Relief: Diffuse 1-2 drops Basil, Lavender, Magnolia, or Ylang Ylang. Inhale in cupped hand, put a few drops on pillow.
After looking over these guidelines and common issues with men, what maintenance work do you need to have done to live your most fulfilling life? Start today and make a step forward in the right direction. It may be an appointment with the doctor, it may be a new resolution to exercise regularly or to begin a vitamin regimen. Whatever YOU need, decide today and act on it!
Click HERE to purchase any of the products listed in this post.