If I can do anything about keeping my body healthy and feeling its best, I’m going to try. Mostly because when I feel well, I am more positive, creative, productive and feel mentally and physically strong. It’s a GREAT feeling!
We need a strong immune system because it is the key factor that protects our body from environmental treats. For the most part, our immune system does a remarkable job of defending us against disease-causing microorganisms on its own, but sometimes, it falls short due to too many toxins or environmental threats that it was not able to thwart off.
Luckily, we can help our own immune system with several dietary and lifestyle changes to help it boost its natural defenses and help it fight harmful pathogens, or disease-causing organisms. Some of the BEST ways to do this are implementing healthy habits regularly like meditation, exercise, eating more fruits and vegetables, getting quality sleep, reducing stress, having proper hygiene and laughing a little…or better yet, A LOT!!
Another way is to implement supplements including vitamins, minerals, herbs and essential oils. Let’s take a look at what are some of most effective supplements to incorporate into our lives.
- Make sure to get your A, B, C, D and E’s! While it is important to include a wide array of vitamins and minerals in your diet to ensure you get ample phytonutrients and antioxidants, Vitamin A, B6, C, D and E are a couple of superstars in the immunity world.
- Vitamin A when used on a short-term basis can help support the body’s ability to fight infections, especially with respiratory infections.
- Vitamin B6 is vital to supporting biochemical reactions in the immune system. Vitamin B6-rich foods include chicken and cold-water fish such as salmon and tuna. Vitamin B6 also is found in green vegetables and in chickpeas, which is the main ingredient in hummus. Each B vitamin has a critical part to play in energizing the body and regulating biological responses. Riboflavin helps break down fats and medication. Folic acid is helpful during pregnancy to prevent birth defects. Vitamin B12 improves nerve cells and can reduce the risk of developing anemia. All vitamins are essential to the immune system.
- Vitamin C may help prevent viral, bacterial, and other infections by shortening the duration of colds and acting as a natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory. You can boost your intake of vitamin C by eating more vegetables and fruits high in vitamin C, such as peppers, spinach, kiwi, broccoli, grapefruit, strawberries, and oranges. You may also want to take a vitamin C supplement to boost your intake of this vitamin.
- Vitamin D is one of the most important immune system-strengthening nutrients that can reduce the risk of colds and flu. This should be taken on a regular basis. Soak up a few rays to get the most natural and efficient way to stock up on it. You only need between 15-20 minutes to get the D dosage you need.
- Vitamin Eis a powerful antioxidant that helps the body fight off infection. Foods rich in vitamin E include nuts, seeds and spinach.
- Zinc is the second-most-abundant trace mineral in your body and is present in every cell. It can help reduce the number of infections and the duration of the common cold when taken within 24 hours of onset. Zinc is a mineral that has been shown to be essential for immune function. Some studies have found that patients with zinc deficiency developed severe immune dysfunctions over time. Eating foods high in zinc is always a good option. Try including foods like chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, cashews, oysters, oats, and yogurt.
- Selenium is a key nutrient for immune function and is easily obtained from foods like the Brazil nut. Selenium is also an antioxidant, which strengthens the body’s defenses against bacteria, viruses and cancer cells.
- Daily Nutritional Supplements. One of the easiest ways to get all the vitamins and minerals needed in your diet is to take daily supplements. Begin with the foundations of doTERRA’s Lifelong Vitality (LLV). This supplement pack is full of essential nutrients, metabolism benefits, and powerful antioxidants designed to help promote energy, health, and lifelong vitality. A long life full of vitality and healthy aging begins with providing your cells with essential nutrients and metabolic factors to help them perform optimally.
- Microplex VMz (included in the LLV Pack) is a comprehensive array of vitamins and minerals presented in a food nutrient complex that are essential for normal growth, function, and maintenance of cells. Microplex VMz provides a balanced blend of essential antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E; an energy complex of B vitamins; and 800 IU of vitamin D. It also contains important chelated minerals for metabolism and the essential bone nutrients calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
- Alpha CRS+ Cellular Vitality Complex (included in the LLV Pack) is a proprietary formula combining potent levels of natural botanical extracts that support healthy cell function with important metabolic factors of cellular energy.
- xEO Mega Essential Oil Omega Complex (included in the LLV Pack) is a unique formula of CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils and a proprietary blend of marine- and land-sourced omega fatty acids. Omega fatty acids help support joint, cardiovascular, and brain health, and support healthy immune function. One serving of xEO Mega provides 900 milligrams of marine lipids (providing 300 mg of EPA, 300 mg of DHA, and 70 mg of other omega 3s), and a blend of 250 mg of plant-sourced fatty acids. xEO Mega also includes 800 IU of natural vitamin D, 60 IU of natural vitamin E, and 1 mg of astaxanthin, a powerful antioxidant carotenoid harvested from microalgae.
- Bone Nutrient Essential Complex. A blend of vitamins and minerals that are essential for bone health, specifically for women. It is formulated with bioavailable forms of natural nutrients that include vitamins C and D, plus calcium, magnesium, and other trace minerals that support healthy bone density as a woman ages.
- Probiotics. Probiotics are live strains of healthy bacteria and yeast that are good for your digestive tract, microbiome, and immune system. Research shows that probiotics enhance your immune function through supporting a healthy and strong intestinal lining, keeping the bad bacteria from entering the bloodstream and, therefore, supporting the overall health of the immune system. You can get plenty of probiotics from your diet by eating a wide array of fermented foods, such as yogurt, cultured vegetables, miso, and apple cider vinegar. Or explore a potent probiotic supplement to ensure your levels are abundant. I suggest doTERRA’s PB Assist+ or PB Assist Jr. It offers a unique, safe, and effective way to deliver the well-recognized digestive and immune system support benefits of probiotics.
- Essential Oils. Essential oils are the essence of a plant, a gift from the earth, distilled and prepared for you to bring the power of nature into your home. Inside many plants—hidden in roots, seeds, flowers, bark—are concentrated, highly potent chemical compounds. These natural compounds are essential oils. Essential oils give a plant its scent, protect it from hazardous environmental conditions, and even assist it with pollination, among other important functions and benefits.
- On Guard, a proprietary essential oil blend, provides a natural and effective alternative for immune support when used internally. As one of doTERRA’s best-selling blends, On Guard protects against environmental and seasonal threats with essential oils known for their positive effects on the immune system when ingested. It can be taken internally daily to maintain healthy immune function and support healthy cardiovascular function. It can also be used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. Try the On Guard capsules, an easy way to reap the benefits internally.
- The Immune Support Kit. To keep each element of your immune system on track, doTERRA offers an Immune Support Kit. Along with the probiotic supplement PB Assist®+, this kit includes all of the most popular doTERRA essential oils known to help protect your body from environmental and other threats.
- Breathe® (5 mL): Add it directly to a diffuser or apply it to your chest to help minimize the effects of seasonal and environmental threats.
- Oregano Touch (10 mL): Use to support a healthy respiratory function.
- Copaiba (15 mL): Put one to two drops in a Veggie Capsule or the same amount under your tongue in order to support the health of the cardiovascular, immune, digestive and respiratory systems.
- On Guard® (15 mL): This powerful blend can be used daily to support the body’s natural antioxidant defenses.
- On Guard+ Softgels: Contains the doTERRA On Guard blend to support both healthy immune and respiratory function
- On Guard Sanitizing Mist: Use to kill 99.9 percent of the germs and bacteria you encounter in your environment.
- Melissa Essential Oil. One of my favorites and one of the rarest of doTERRA’s essential oils, Melissa has a wide range of benefits and uses. It provides powerful support to the nervous and immune systems and promotes healthy cellular function. Take one to two drops internally to promote a healthy immune response.
- Herbal infusions can help prevent you from getting sick or shorten the duration and intensity of your symptoms when you do come down with a seasonal threat. Here are a few immune-boosting herbs to know about, as well as a few tips to brew up your herbal infusions at home.
- Elderberry is a dark violet berry containing immune-boosting benefits. Research shows that elderberry can reduce the duration and severity of symptoms of the common cold.
- Echinacea is a pretty purple flower grown primarily in North America. When used medicinally, it can help decrease the duration and severity of colds and other upper respiratory infections when taken at the onset of symptoms. It is best known for its beneficial effects on the immune system.
- Osha root is an herb that has long been used by Native Americans for a variety of ailments. Recent research has found that osha root may boost immunity while also protecting cells from oxidative damage.
How to brew: First, choose quality bulk herbs. If you do not have a local apothecary, you can order them online. Use primarily leaves, flowers, or finely chopped stems and roots. Start with approximately one tablespoon of herbs to one cup of water. Using purified water, place 4 tablespoons of herbs, covered fully in a pot with 4 cups of water. To ensure you steep a potent herbal infusion, keep the lid on while simmering, stirring the herbs occasionally. For optimal benefits, steep medicinal herbs for approximately 15–20 minutes. Strain well and drink. You can store any leftovers in a glass jar in the refrigerator. For optimal potency, keep the herbal infusion for no more than 24 hours.
- Oil Pulling. An ancient Ayurveda treatment that goes back to more than 3000 years, oil pulling can boost your immunity, plus whiten your teeth. While you swish the oil around your mouth and between your teeth, it helps get rid of bacteria in your mouth. Our mouth is home to millions of microbes including bacteria. With the simple act of swishing the oil for a prolonged period, our mouth gets cleansed and the bacteria load decreases. The best oil to use is virgin coconut oil because it contains naturally occurring lauric acid and vitamin E. These essential nutrients help strengthen the immune system and have anti-viral properties. Other benefits of oil pulling include preventing cavities, fighting gingivitis, freshening breath, brightening teeth and reducing headaches.
Directions for Oil Pulling:
- Make sure that you start oil pulling on an empty stomach first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything.
- Start by mixing 1 tablespoon of oil. (You can use doTERRA’s Fractionated Coconut Oil or another oil like Sesame, Olive or Avocado) with one drop each of On Guard, Eucalyptus and Lemon essential oils.
- Swish it around in the mouth for 10-20 minutes. If you start to experience discomfort in your mouth or jaw, relax your jaw and tongue and swish slowly and gently.
- Change up your concoction by trying other essential oils like Birch, Wintergreen, Geranium, Peppermint or Thyme.
- You may discard the oil by spitting it out into the trash. Please remember to not swallow the oil at this stage to avoid ingesting the toxins with it.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and brush your teeth as usual.
- Repeat the process about 3-4 times a week.
Below are some great DIY recipes using herbs and oils.
- Sore Throat Soother and Immunity Booster: Warm up orange juice and sprinkle ginger and cayenne pepper into it. Drink. Cayenne Pepper is a staple for boosting your health and immunity. In addition to its potent immune-boosting nutritional composition, the spice is also an excellent source of beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant. Ginger is filled with immune-boosting benefits, making it a “go-to” ingredient in many of my healthy recipes. It is antibacterial so it helps support the immune system and it can help to prevent nausea and soothe an upset stomach.
- Essential Oil Steamer: Pour steaming water in a mug and add one drop each of Oregano, Tea Tree, Lemon and Peppermint. Cover your head with a towel to keep the steam inside. With your eyes closed, inhale through your nose and breathe deeply for 5 minutes, or until the oils evaporate and relief is achieved. This clears the sinuses and boosts the immune system. You can also use 2 drops Copaiba, 1 drop Lemon, 3 drops Tea Tree, 4 drops Eucalyptus essential oils.
- Immunity Booster Shot: Ingredients – 1 serving Liposomal Vitamin C, 1 teaspoon raw honey, 1 teaspoon unrefined coconut oil, 1-2 drops each of cinnamon bark, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary, wild orange and lemon essential oils, ¼ teaspoon organic pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon powder, tiny pinch pink Himalayan salt. Directions – Add essential oils to the coconut oil and mix well, then add this mixture to the rest of the ingredients, mixing well again. Enjoy once or twice daily at the onset of a cold, or when exposed for prevention. Wash down with pure, filtered water or warm tea. Be sure to not use it for more than two weeks at a time.
- Immune Boosting Inhalation: Use equal parts Pink Pepper, Peppermint, Tea Tree and Lavender in a diffuser or place 1 drop of each in palms of hands, rub together, cup over face, inhale and then rub on chest. Dilute with carrier oil as needed.
- Immune Boosting Diffuser Blend: Add 3 drops On Guard, 2 drops Lemon, 2 drops Frankincense, 1 drop Oregano to diffuser.
- The Bomb (for seasonal threats): 5 drops On Guard, 5 drops Tea Tree, 3 drops Oregano. Place in an empty capsule and swallow. Repeat every 3-4 hours while symptoms last.
- Immunity Boost Capsule: Add 2-3 drops each of Oregano, On Guard, Lemon, or Thyme to a veggie capsule.
A healthy body is not just about being healthy from the outside but also ensuring a stronger immunity and these natural ways to boost your immune system can help you achieve the goal of a healthy body. These steps would reduce the toxins in the body and would provide the needed nutrients that are essential for your health. Keeping a check on the immune system is not only going to keep you safe from getting sick, but it will also help you age gracefully and prevent other diseases in the latter half of your life. With these little efforts and tweaks in your daily routine, you can be sure to SUPERCHARGE your immune system.
“Take care of your body and your body with take care of YOU!”
*If you’d like to purchase any of the products talked about in this post, you can edit this cart HERE!